[Talk-se] Reverting undiscussed Lantmäteriet import

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Dec 6 22:25:55 UTC 2020

(cross-post with forum)

Hi,

over the last couple of weeks, over 90.000 changesets have been made by
45 different accounts, performing an undiscussed, low-quality
Lantmäteriet import (many small bits of tracks or minor roads,
unconnected to each other and the rest of the network). Several members
of the Swedish OSM community have made the DWG aware of this issue.

The worst thing about this is that many of the accounts used have been
hacked - they are accounts of people normally editing elsewhere on the
planet, with different editors, in different languages, and certainly
not importing Lantmäteriet.

Not only is this a slap in the face for all of our hard working
volunteers trying to make the best map in Sweden; it is also a crass
violation of trust (and very likely also a violation of Swedish law).

We (at DWG) are still investigating who is behind this. This is more
than just the usual bad import, this is someone who has enough criminal
energy to hack into other accounts in an attempt to fly under the radar.

We have blocked the accounts involved (a list of accounts we have
identified is below). If you know anything that might help us determine
the identity of this hacker, please let us know at data at osmfoundation.org.

We're planning to revert the import in the coming days.

Bye
Frederik

List of accounts identified (remember, many of these will be innocent
users that had their account hacked):