[Talk-transit] [Talk-gb-westmidlands] NaPTAN bus stop database import - some moreobservations

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 1 19:39:50 BST 2009

As promised my review of a further 50 bus stops in Sutton Coldfield. See the
linked PDF [1] for full analysis.

50 locations evaluated in Sutton Coldfield. All stops except one in the
NaPTan database and the one that wasn't is an unused shelter in a row of
shelters in the centre of town so probably isn't in the NaPTAN dataset
anyway.

Of the remaining 49, 13 (27%) have no physical presence on the ground and in
most case have never been used as a stop as far as I know.

The average positional error from my survey was 13.7m with a maximum of 84m
and a minimum of 1.6m. One third were within 5m. The standard deviation was
16.84m.

The majority of stops were logically positioned on the correct side of the
road and where it was close I checked the road alignment and adjusted it to
the GPS traces where appropriate. A small number of NaPTAN nodes were not in
their logical positions, eg both stops of a pair on the same side of the
street. The largest displacement values were all longitudinal displacements
along the street.

A question arises what to tag a NaPTAN stop that is not present on the
ground. I've used for now physically_present=no. These stops also don't
currently carry a highway=bus_stop tag.

Cheers

Andy

[1] http://ajr.hopto.org/osm/NaPTAN.pdf