[Talk-transit] NaPTAN Merger utility

Christoph Böhme christoph at b3e.net
Thu Apr 2 17:09:10 BST 2009

Hi all,

after an unsuccessful first try on writing a NaPTAN-OSM Merger (due to
my attempt of using an overly flexible data model which -- of course --
turned out to be terribly slow) I finally got a very very early version
of a NaPTAN-OSM merging utility going. You can find it on
http://www.mappa-mercia.org/cgi-bin/naptanmerger.wsgi/

It is not yet much of an actual utility but only a map showing markers
for each bus stop from OSM (green) and the NaPTAN dataset (yellow).
However, if I find this quite nice to see how OSM and NaPTAN data
compares.

The next thing I plan to add is a panel on the right side that shows
the details of a bus stop when clicking on it and a list of bus stops
with similar names/codes in its vicinity. Selecting one of these stops
should then merge the two bus stops into one (which then somehow needs
to be updated in the OSM database as well ...)

Markers are only displayed in the four highest zoom levels
because otherwise the large number of visible markers slows down the
map too much. I extracted all nodes in the Birmingham area from the OSM
database which have either a highway=bus_stop or a source=naptan_import
tag set. Tags with highway=bus_stop are considered to be OSM stops
everything else is considered to be a NaPTAN stop.

Cheers,
Christoph