[Talk-transit] NaPTAN Import

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Aug 3 15:06:42 BST 2009

On 1 Aug 2009, at 22:51, Thomas Wood wrote:

> 2009/8/1 Christoph Böhme <christoph at b3e.net>:
>> Thomas Wood <grand.edgemaster at gmail.com> schrieb:
>>
>>> I think all outstanding coding issues have now been dealt with.
>>> There's one minor tagging issue to address - should the source tag
>>> be
>>> on the data or changesets.
>>
>> Since the source tag applies to the whole changeset it makes sense to
>> tag only the changeset. However, I believe editors do not display
>> changeset tags at the moment. This means changeset tags are basically
>> not visible when you edit data. While it can be handy to see the
>> source
>> of an element when you edit it (e.g. I'm much less relucant to move
>> NPE-sourced data if it does not fit with my tracks than surveyed
>> data)
>> this should not be a problem with the naptan-import. The naptan:-tags
>> are a very obvious hint where the data is coming from.
>>
>> So, I'd vote for placing the source-tag at the changeset.
>>
>>> Otherwise, a test upload of the Surrey data is visible here -
>>> http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/394
>>> Comments welcomed.
>>
>> Could it be that the tags are missing? All the nodes I have looked at
>> are empty (http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/416977, for
>> example)
>
> Ooops, I linked the wrong changeset!
> http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/389 was my intent.

A couple of comments.

Firstly, the locality field is an important part of the name in
NaPTAN. The stop name can be constructed in a number of ways depending
on how much precision is needed and what the geographic context is.

For example, let's take this stop outside a pub called 'The
Woodman' (which is in Ashteed).
http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/396115

If the context for the enquiry was Ashteed itself, then one could say
'The Woodman (Adj)'. If the context was wider and one still needed to
be precise one would say: 'Ashteed, The Woodman (Adj)'.

Localities themselves are not always unique so there is the
possibility for a locality to have a qualifier in NaPTAN. The full
description for a bus stop called 'Long Road' in Cambridge in
Cambridgeshire (rather than the one in Gloucestershire) would be
'Cambridge (Cambs), Long Road (opp)'. If the context was east anglia
then one could drop the qualifier and it would become 'Cambridge, Long
Road (opp)'. If the context was Cambridge itself then one could use
'Long Road (opp)'.

So... what to do. I suggest we need a naptan:locality field which
should contain the naptan locality name or possibly also
naptan:natgazid as a unique reference for the place (to accommodate
multiple localities with the same name).

I am not clear what we do, but we need to do something.

Regards,

Peter