[Talk-transit] Railway route relations

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 5 01:12:35 BST 2009

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 00:37:50 Frankie Roberto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm still keen to try and nail this public transport service vs
> infrastructure issue.

IMHO the solution is simple. Name it after what you are mapping.

For vehicles:
The route the cyclist follows is route=bicycle.
The route bus 5 follows is route=bus.
The route tram 13 follows is route=tram.
The route the Eurostar follows is route=train.

For infrastructure:
The "route" of the M1 is route=road
The "route" that is made up of the rail tracks of the East Coast Mainline is
route=rail.

Deprecating route= and replacing it with line= for most things where we
currently use route= is a lot of work for no real gain.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus