[Talk-transit] Route relations types

Roger Slevin roger at slevin.plus.com
Wed Aug 5 12:38:46 BST 2009

Brian

Before anyone answers your question, please bear in mind that there is no
clear definition of a "coach" ... and I have dealt with a feedback to
traveline on this very point only this morning.  A limited stop service
between Cambridge and Oxford operated by vehicles which have "coach-style"
seats and which the operator refers to as "coaches" runs a limited stop
service between the two cities (the X5) - so we call this a coach.  The
complaint came from someone who had been unable to find this service as a
"bus" because he saw a "coach" as being something which you had to prebook,
and which expected a significant number of passengers to have luggage which
went into luggage lockers under (or at the back of) the vehicle.

There is no "right" definition - and OSM might be better advised to tag
routes as <bus-coach> rather than to try to separate them.

Roger