[Talk-transit] Route relations types

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Aug 5 13:20:45 BST 2009

On 5 Aug 2009, at 13:05, Frankie Roberto wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Roger Slevin
> <roger at slevin.plus.com> wrote:
> Before anyone answers your question, please bear in mind that there
> is no clear definition of a “coach” ... and I have dealt with a
> feedback to traveline on this very point only this morning.  A
> limited stop service between Cambridge and Oxford operated by
> vehicles which have “coach-style” seats and which the operator
> refers to as “coaches” runs a limited stop service between the two
> cities (the X5) – so we call this a coach.  The complaint came from
> someone who had been unable to find this service as a “bus” because
> he saw a “coach” as being something which you had to prebook, and
> which expected a significant number of passengers to have luggage
> which went into luggage lockers under (or at the back of) the vehicle.
>

> Whilst I agree that there's no hard-and-fast distinction between
> buses and coaches, I think that using route=bus-coach is just going
> to confuse people!
>
> I'd suggest using either route=bus or route=coach, and simply going
> with whichever feels most correct (based upon what the route calls
> itself or how people generally refer to it).
>
> This doesn't resolve the potential ambiguities, but renderers and
> routing software would be advised to use a bit leeway when doing
> searches.

I understood that one difference in the UK is if it was under 50km the
operator could reclaim tax on their fuel. There is also evidently a 50
km rule about tachographs, where drivers operating longer routes need
tachos, but ones on shorter routes (urban buses) don't.

I think it is also useful to distinguish the sort of seating. I was on
a coach last week, big leather seats and air-conditioning - very
comfortable and reasonably quick. No toilet which surprised me, but it
was only a 1 hour journey so I guess that is fair-enough. The
experience of using a normal urban bus would have been very poor in
comparison and I wouldn't have taken it.

Personally I would vote for the distinction to be retained on the
basis of the distance and type of vehicle.

Regards,

peter