[Talk-transit] New 'Transit' page and proposed Stop Place model

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Thu Aug 6 10:37:14 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>wrote:

> I have create a new top level page for 'transit' and redirected
> 'public transport' to that page.
>
> Take a look here and tell me what you think, and do of course make it
> better!
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Transit

This is really useful, well done for starting this!

> I am also proposing to write basic articles for each of the individual
> modes that I have identified (currently the 'main' articles referred
> to are mostly to redirects to a tag page which isn't sufficient).

Agreed.

> Do you think Tram should be included in Rail or be discussed separately?

I'd suggest having a separate page, as the sharing of the ways with highways
(street running) causes quite a few complications which aren't experienced
with Rail.

I'm not sure whether "Trams", "Tramways" or "Tram systems" is the best name
for the page - any thoughts? Whichever we pick, the others should be a
redirect.

You will also notice that I am also plugging a proposal I am
> developing for a new consistent Stop Place model ( based on Oxoma's
> proposal) which you can read about here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:PeterIto/Stop_Place

I'm getting a little confused by having so many separate proposals on so
many different pages (many of which are user pages). I'd suggest:

a) developing these schemes within the public namespace, so as to encourage
more collaboration/discussion.
b) splitting the pages down into smaller components - eg railways, bus
stops, train services, train stations, etc. Whilst it's good to have an
overall conceptual model, I think most mappers will be more interested in
understanding how to tag at a feature level.

I think we should also remove the redirect from
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:public_transport and turn that into a
standard Key page (with the KeyDescription infobox) documenting existing and
proposed usage of the key.  Likewise, it'd be useful to have the relevant
tag and key pages for all the other tags and keys that are in use or
proposed.

Cheers,

Frankie

--