[Talk-transit] Is 'Transit' and 'Public Transport' the same thing?

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Thu Aug 6 23:41:13 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>wrote:

> I notice that Frankie has created a new Tram page  (no content yet but
> it will come).

Yup!

> Is 'transit' a synonym  for 'public transport'? or not. If not then
> what is the difference?

For me, as a native British English speaker, "public transport" is the term
that encompasses trains, trams, buses & (perhaps to a lesser extent) planes.

I wouldn't ever user the term "transit" really. The most common association
would be the Ford Transit Van! I'm also vaguely aware of the term "mass
transit". I've always assumed "transit" to by synonymous with "transport"
though - ie applicable to all forms of transport, including private
transport.

That's just me though - I'm well aware that other languages, and other
dialects of English (and perhaps even other people within the UK) will have
different interpretations...

Which terms sound more natural to other people on this list?

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle