[Talk-transit] Wiki cleanup

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Aug 7 12:37:11 BST 2009

I am getting on with going through the top level wiki articles that
relate to public transport it make is easier for people to get started
and use the currently recommended tagging.

The 'Transit' page is now in a reasonable state, (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Transit
), I have moved the 'Stop Place' proposal to the 'proposed features'
section (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/
Stop_Place) and I have a good deal of work 'Relation:route'(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route
).

Do let me know if I am on the right lines (or not).

We need a decision on the 'Public Transport' vs 'Transit' question.
Which term should we use on the wiki because I don't want a muddle.

I note that the article on Wikipedia is called 'Public transport',
with 'mass transit' and 'public transportation' as alternatives. I
propose that we mirror Wikipedia and use the same term.

I will therefore move Transit -> Public Transport, convert
'category:Transit' to 'category:Public transport',  If I don't hear
voices against this proposal I will get on with it soon.

If we do this then I suggest that we deprecate use of the term
'transit' in general on the wiki.

Regards,

Peter