[Talk-transit] Railway route relations

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Sat Aug 8 13:18:10 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Cartinus <cartinus at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> IMHO the solution is simple. Name it after what you are mapping.
>
> For vehicles:
> The route the cyclist follows is route=bicycle.
> The route bus 5 follows is route=bus.
> The route tram 13 follows is route=tram.
> The route the Eurostar follows is route=train.
>
> For infrastructure:
> The "route" of the M1 is route=road
> The "route" that is made up of the rail tracks of the East Coast Mainline
> is
> route=rail.

I think this is probably the smartest, and yet most obvious idea suggested
in this thread.

I've started to document this on the wiki.

Vehicles:

route=train http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dtrain
route=bus http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dbus
route=tram http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dtram

Infrastructure:

route=railway  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Drailway

(I'm not too fussed whether we use route=rail or route=railway, however it's
been suggested that route=rail has been used already where route=train would
be better)

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle