[Talk-transit] Railway route relations

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sun Aug 9 17:08:54 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 02:12:35AM +0200, Cartinus wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 August 2009 00:37:50 Frankie Roberto wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm still keen to try and nail this public transport service vs
> > infrastructure issue.
> >

> IMHO the solution is simple. Name it after what you are mapping.
>
> For vehicles:
> The route the cyclist follows is route=bicycle.
> The route bus 5 follows is route=bus.
> The route tram 13 follows is route=tram.
> The route the Eurostar follows is route=train.
>
> For infrastructure:
> The "route" of the M1 is route=road
> The "route" that is made up of the rail tracks of the East Coast Mainline is
> route=rail.
>
> Deprecating route= and replacing it with line= for most things where we
> currently use route= is a lot of work for no real gain.

Oxomoas proposal makes things more consistent:

You have
railway=rail
railway=light_rail
etc.

and the corresponding relations are:
line=rail
line=light_rail

It seems rather confusing to me to have:
route=train corresponding to railway=rail
and
route=light_rail corresponding to railway=light_rail

Thats why we decided to do it this way at the workshop in Karlsruhe. The
way we introduced line=* was to make this consistent and at the same time
mostly backwards compatible to current use.

Jochen