[Talk-transit] NPTG locality viewer

Roger Slevin roger at slevin.plus.com
Mon Aug 17 10:39:22 BST 2009

Ed

Thanks for the clue - I was wondering why it wasn't making a lot of sense to
me (as an IE8 user by default) - I will try it in Firefox then.

As for Apostrophes, there is not right or wrong on this - NPTG is supposed
to use them where they are in popular use, but there is no absolute
criterion (and some which appear to be logical possessives, and therefore
should have an apostrophe, have good historical reasons for not having the
apostrophe - or even having it after rather than before the s).  Is Kings
Heath the heath of a King, or of Kings ... or neither (it appears to come
from Kings Norton, nearby - and it clearly is well established as being
without an apostrophe if you look at various sources on the internet).

As for locations - NPTG requires the centre of the locality (its
coordinates) to be "at the business centre of the locality, on a road open
to normal traffic and close to the most central public transport stops" (or
some compromise between these three criteria where they don't clearly push
to a single point).  NPTG localities are NOT administrative areas - they are
NOT parishes, for instance.  They are about the community that
lives/works/plays in the locality of that name.

Best wishes

Roger