[Talk-transit] pay_scale_area

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Mon Aug 17 15:20:11 BST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Ed Loach <ed at loach.me.uk> wrote:

> > In my opinion the name tag is used as a general purpose tag in
> > OSM for
> > names of all sorts of things. So, it appeared quite natural to
> > use it
> > for recording the names of the plus bus zones as well. From the
> > other
> > tags renderers can easily guess what type of object the name
> > belongs to
> > and the decide if it should be displayed. So there is no need
> > to use
> > namespaced versions of the name tag just to prevent the
> > renderer from
> > displaying it.
>
> I know, and changing the key did really feel like "tagging for the
> renderer". I've now changed it back. At the time I was just annoyed
> that it took me so long to work out why the name was showing in the
> middle of nowhere at a strange angle. I'd probably still be looking
> if I hadn't remembered the recent import.

Hopefully, we can get this bug (http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2177)
fixed fairly soon, and Mapnik updated, so that we can continue using name=,
rather than having to use the awkwardly namespaced version.

Incidentally, if anyone knows anything about the Mapnik stylesheets, perhaps
they could look into which bit needs to be changed, and then submit that as
a patch? Might get the change implemented a bit quicker...

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle