[Talk-transit] NaPTAN Merging Guidelines

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Aug 18 04:24:24 BST 2009

On 18 Aug 2009, at 01:07, Bryce McKinlay wrote:

> Thank you very much for your efforts on this, Thomas, and everyone
> else involved - I've been waiting for the London import for a while,
> and it's fantastic to see this data in OSM!

+1

> I have one "bug" to report: Is it possible that special characters are
> being dropped from the stop names during the import? For example:
>
> <node id="469789137" lat="51.5122005" lon="-0.1420652" version="1"
> changeset="2177128" user="NaPTAN" uid="104459" visible="true"
> timestamp="2009-08-17T13:40:06Z">
>    <tag k="name" v="Conduit Street  Saville Row"/>
>    <tag k="naptan:CommonName" v="Conduit Street  Saville Row"/>
>
> TfL refers to this as "Conduit Street / Saville Row", so it seems the
> "/" characters are going missing somewhere?

The data in NaPTAN does not include the '/' actually, probably because
of the work being done to standardise stop naming across the UK in
NaPTAN. In particular to discourage stop naming of the form 'street/
cross street' and the use of some characters including /. In this case
the slash has gone but the cross street naming remains.

> Also, I'm curious whether, in addition to the bus stop data, NaPTAN
> contains precise locations for Underground station exits, and if so,
> whether there is any plan to import these? OSM often contains only one
> node for stations that have multiple exits, and in some cases the node
> is ambiguously placed such that it isn't clear which street (or which
> side of the street) an exit is on. This level of precision does become
> significant when producing walking maps/directions...

Yes there are entrances in NaPTAN. For example there are 8 entrances
given for Oxford Street Underground station. There are also platforms
information, but no indication about which platform they relate to.

Can I suggest we complete the import of bus stops import into OSM
first and then go back for another trawl through the data and get more
detail?

Peter