[Talk-transit] Weird stations in the UK (as shown on Google maps)

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Thu Aug 20 16:54:39 BST 2009

Hi Peter,

Nice work!

Just goes to show some of the advantages of OSM - we can fix the data
relatively quickly.

Incidentally, according to Wikipedia Bank and Monument tube stations are
treated operationally as one complex (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_and_Monument_stations), however on Google
Maps they are shown separately:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=51.511694,-0.08656&spn=0.005649,0.024462&z=16

When tagging, I think we should generally follow the 'rule of ground' and
tag what people perceive to be separate stations (eg most people would think
of St Pancras as a single station).

Frankie

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>wrote:

> We have been doing some work for National Rail and this has
> highlighted a bunch of weirdnesses about what is a railway station and
> what is not a railway station. Some of weirdnesses are down to
> problems with data, but others show up operational issues. I have been
> proposing a more comprehensive model for complex interchanges within
> OSM and in might be interesting to see how one would map some of these
> onto this model (or not in the case of data errors. [1] I am showing
> that many of the problems also appear on Google Maps who also use
> NaPTAN. The images are in the set 'weird stations' (
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/petereastern/sets/72157621968445655/
> )
>
> Reading Station, or Reading Stations? In NaPTAN and in Google there
> are two Reading stations[2]. The reason evidently is that for
> operation reasons the station is treated as two stations with the 'The
> Waterloo part of Reading is a separately coded rail station'. This
> does however seem weird on information displayed to the public.
> Curiously Clapham Junction station is divided into four stations for
> operational reasons but Google only shows one - possibly it deals with
> it as a special case as there are four stations in NaPTAN.
>
> There are two additional stations close to Albany Park Station (nr
> Sidcup) on Google Maps.[3] This is because two bus stops have
> incorrectly be coded as railways stations (and incidentally means we
> are likely to be 2 bus stops light on the import of the county). The
> data owner has been notified and this error should be fixed reasonably
> soon.
>
> There are two railway stations shown for Heathrow. One is actually a
> coach station from which 'RailAir' coaches operate so it is not really
> a railway station at all.[4]
>
> There are four station in the King's Cross/ St Pancras on Google[5].
> Two for St Pancras station, one for King's Cross Station and then one
> for King's Cross/St Pancras. NaPTAN does have two stations for St
> Pancras (possibly the international section is treated as a separate
> station for operational reasons) but only seems to have one for King's
> Cross Station in NaPTAN. I am not sure where the combined one on
> Google has come from but it does possibly make sense to present them
> as a single station at some zoom levels.
>
> Finally, there is a mainline station shown for Newbury Park as well as
> an underground station on Google and in NaPTAN[6]  even though it
> appears to be on the Central line with no connection to mainline
> services and the station doesn't appear in a station search on the
> National Rail website. Is this another NaPTAN mistake?
>
> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Stop_Place
> [2] http://www.flickr.com/photos/petereastern/3839787944
> [3]
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/petereastern/3839198147/in/set-72157621968445655/
> [...]