[Talk-transit] Weird stations in the UK (as shown on Google maps)

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Thu Aug 20 16:56:33 BST 2009

Peter wrote:

> Finally, there is a mainline station shown for Newbury Park as
> well as
> an underground station on Google and in NaPTAN[6]  even though
> it
> appears to be on the Central line with no connection to
> mainline
> services and the station doesn't appear in a station search on
> the
> National Rail website. Is this another NaPTAN mistake?
>
> [6] http://www.flickr.com/photos/petereastern/3839310795/

Google suggests there used to be a main line station there:
http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/Newbury_Park.html
and Wikipedia agrees
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbury_Park_tube_station

My wife was there earlier this week. I think they've a fairly big
bus area outside the station exit, but I don’t think there is a
mainline station there now.

Ed