[Talk-transit] Weird stations in the UK (as shown on Googlemaps)

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Aug 20 17:51:10 BST 2009

On 20 Aug 2009, at 17:00, Frankie Roberto wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com
> > wrote:
>
> There are four station in the King's Cross/ St Pancras on Google[5].
> Two for St Pancras station, one for King's Cross Station and then one
> for King's Cross/St Pancras. NaPTAN does have two stations for St
> Pancras (possibly the international section is treated as a separate
> station for operational reasons) but only seems to have one for King's
> Cross Station in NaPTAN. I am not sure where the combined one on
> Google has come from but it does possibly make sense to present them
> as a single station at some zoom levels.
>
> Is Kings Cross St. Pancras tube station part of the same station
> complex as St Pancras International/Domestic, I wonder? On the
> ground, I'd have said yes, but it's really mainly the name that
> connects, seeing as it's equally well connected physically with both
> St Pancras rail station and Kings Cross rail station.
>
> Mind you, I've always found Kings Cross to be confusing on the
> ground too - once almost missed my train by not realising that I
> needed Kings Cross Thameslink rather than Kings Cross.

And I only noticed today that Kings Cross Thameslink station was
closed a year or so ago and the trains now use St Pancras.

Can I suggest that we build a hierarchy available using relations.
Firstly we have a station called Kings Cross (Mainline) using a
relation to bind together the platforms, entrances and facilities
related to that station. Similarly we create a relation for St Pancras
with its facilities and another called Kings Cross/St Pancras
Underground or what ever. We then create create another relation of
the top of those a call it Kings Cross/St Pancras which includes the
other relations. At different zoom levels one can then choose to
display differing levels of detail starting with a single dot for a
map of the UK getting more detail as one gets closer.

For Bank and Monument, I suggest that they are modelled using separate
relations at 'level 1' and then as a single station at the outer level
with a relation that binds the other two relations.

The main rule will be that each feature on the ground is only
represented once as a way.

In the case of Reading station where there are evidently two stations
for operational reasons one should create one relation with everything
in it to be used for publicity purposes assuming that is what it looks
like on the group, but one might also create two additional relations
for the sections that are managed by X and by Y separately. We have
done something along these lines with relations for SRS sections on
railway lines (for example http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/166452)
.