[Talk-transit] "Foxhall Road Lamp 589"!

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sun Aug 23 17:34:44 BST 2009

Could we run a competition for the least helpful bus stop name. I
would like to enter Suffolk in that category with a bus stop named
"Foxhall Road Lamp 589" [1]. I guess it comes in handy when someone
wants to start collecting lamp posts in the area and enter their
references, for all other purposes it seems less than useful.

I should say that overall the data is pretty good. I have been doing
some checking today and have found a small number of significant
errors, but nothing too big, possibly 5%.

Some bus stops where the flags have been removed but the data is still
in the DB, one missing stops, one is very much the wrong position,
some more marked as customary that actually have poles. One customary
stop where it would seem pretty dangerous to pick anyone up - switch
to aerial view for this Google map view to see that it is not a good
place to wait (no pavement and almost of slip road of the A12). Notice
that Google shows the customary stops.  [2]

I think the conclusion is that have OSM crawling over the data is
going to do it a lot of good (and cost the councils nothing).

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/471494715
[2] http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=martlesham&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.074846,29.882813&ie=UTF8&ll=52.059962,1.275833&spn=0.00083,0.001824&z=19