[Talk-transit] [Spam] Tagging 'Bus Stop Areas'

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Feb 20 08:32:01 GMT 2009

On 19 Feb 2009, at 16:21, Thomas Wood wrote:

> Hi list,
> In the process of writing the converter for the NaPTAN dataset, I've
> come across a need for how to tag areas in which a bus may stop.
>
> The most obvious of these is the 'Hail and Ride' sections of routes,
> where a bus may stop at any point on the road if requested. Searching
> the wiki, it seems that adding the way to a route relation and marking
> it's role as 'hail' was one approach suggested by the person dealing
> with the QROTI transit import of the Brisbane area
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/QROTI).

Hail and Ride needs to be associated with a section of road. We should
probably implement it as a relation that is associated with one or
more ways and where the stop tags live in the relation. I suggest that
we leave this till later.

> NaPTAN also allows for a Flexible Zone type of stopping area, it only
> describes this as "Flexible zone, with an area footprint.". NaPTAN
> seems to explicitly differentiate it from the standard concept that
> NaPTAN has of Stop Areas, where many stopping points in a locality are
> grouped together for interchanges.
> Does anyone have any idea what a flexible zone is? And if so, how we'd
> represent it in OSM.

I flexible zone is used my demand responsive services that don't
follow fixed routes, I suggest we leave these for now.

Note: Stop Areas are different and more useful (although the data for
them in NaPTAN is pretty flakey). Two stop points opposite each other
will be grouped as a stop area. All the stops around a station will be
grouped as a stop area (they should be anyway). THis is useful, but
could easily be added in some later import.