[Talk-transit] Modelling complex stations / OpenTimeTables

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Feb 27 13:09:31 GMT 2009

On 26 Feb 2009, at 23:49, Hugues Romain (RCS) wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> As a professional in public transport free software (routing,
> display screens, DRT, consulting, etc.) I am currently working on an
> extension of OpenStreetMap about public transportation schedules in
> order to be able to do full pedestrian routing (use of footways,
> streets, and public transport services).
> This project is currently named OpenTimeTables (OTT).

Welcome to the list, and I assume that you products in France are
referenced back to Transmodel so we can have confidence that what you
call a Stop Point and a Stop Area is what I mean by the same term.

I am pleased to say that we have a growing group of people from the
professional community on this list now and that this includes a
number of people who helped define the CEN standards themselves. I
worked on the NaPTAN - definition of bus stops etc (UK), TransXchange
- exchange of schedules (UK), SIRI  -  exchange of real time PT
information (CEN) and also passively involved in IFOPT - complex
interchange standard (CEN). We also have Joe Hughes (Google Transit
and GTFS), Roger Slevin (DfT/Traveline/CEN), Peter Stoner (Traveline)
and Nick Knowles (author of many of the CEN standards) - Nick has
updated the NaPTAN wiki page in the past few days and will probably
announce himself soon. It would be good to have people from other
counties as well participating, but the list is doing very well indeed.

In relation to your project I assume you are aware of some of these
other projects that are happening around the world?
http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/PublicFeeds
http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/
http://headwayblog.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Third-Party_Sites

I don't see this as a reason not to get stuck into the subject, far
from it. There are lots of players, but also lots of work still to be
done. Lets use this list to ensure that there is a good workable link
between the physical infrastructure (OSM core activity) and the
schedules (OTT/GTFS etc).

Our challenge within OSM is to get all this knowledge, effort and
commitment turned into a usable and functional set of simple tags. I
love the way people are collecting photos of bus stop flags from all
over the UK to compare with the NaPTAN data, it is this level of
detailed attention that is going to take this project to some very
interesting places.

Regards,

Peter