[Talk-transit] All about bus stops

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Fri Jan 9 09:12:01 GMT 2009

Hi Corey,

Congratulations of the first post.

On 9 Jan 2009, at 00:59, Corey Burger wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> A shiny new list to talk about transit. Yay! There are a lot of
> unanswered questions about bus stops.
>
> * Beside way or in way
> The current consensus seems to be to put it on the side. Make routing
> difficult, but I suppose if we make all sidewalks footways, then that
> would solve the issue.

They should be beside the way, like post boxes, phones, atms and
bicycle parking. If you do the routing right, it shouldn't be a problem.

> * Shelters, benches and schedules
> All of these things are amenities that may exist at a bus stop. Should
> we adopt the namespacing that the piste mapping people are using? This
> would mean that we would have things like bus_stop:shelter=yes and
> bus_stop:bench=yes. Schedules can also just show the list of times, a
> map or even an electronic sign. How do we want to tag each?

I have seen some people tagging the shelter as shelter=yes

I think that we could put the schedule frequencies into the route
relation.

> * Bus routes that stop at the stop
> We can either tag them on the stop or add them to the route relation.
> I favour the latter, as it makes it easier to change stops.

I also favour the later as you can then find out exactly which streets
that the bus goes along. In 0.6 relations become ordered, which means
that you will be able to determine the order of the roads.

> Anything else?

I'd also have more consistency in the way that references are done.
All stops in interchange areas in Edinburgh and London have a local
reference. Some tag that as loc_ref, which makes no sense to me. I tag
it as local_ref, which is much more self explanatory. In the UK every
bus stop has a unique reference number, however this can be difficult
to find, as not all bus stops use it.

Shaun