[Talk-transit] All about bus stops

Chris Hill chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 11:53:52 GMT 2009

Corey Burger wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> A shiny new list to talk about transit. Yay! There are a lot of
> unanswered questions about bus stops.
>
> * Beside way or in way
> The current consensus seems to be to put it on the side. Make routing
> difficult, but I suppose if we make all sidewalks footways, then that
> would solve the issue.
>

> * Shelters, benches and schedules
> All of these things are amenities that may exist at a bus stop. Should
> we adopt the namespacing that the piste mapping people are using? This
> would mean that we would have things like bus_stop:shelter=yes and
> bus_stop:bench=yes. Schedules can also just show the list of times, a
> map or even an electronic sign. How do we want to tag each?

I'm not a fan of namespacing, it is not the style adopted throughout
OSM.  The piste map tagging has attracted some criticism for this.  I
don't see much reason for it and, because it is different, it is another
hurdle to beginners.  Why not just use shelter=yes and bench=yes on the
node, because the node is for a bus stop the meaning is built in.
> * Bus routes that stop at the stop
> We can either tag them on the stop or add them to the route relation.
> I favour the latter, as it makes it easier to change stops.

I like relations, but until we are sure that relations maintain their
order (api v0.6 I think) it would be risky, a bus route currently could
mix up the order of the stops.  When it is just rendered on a map that
doesn't matter much, but for using the data in other ways, such as
linking to timetables the order is important.
> Anything else?

There is a lot to discuss about the UK import of NaPTAN data: how to
translate the data, what about existing bus stop nodes, how to
incorporate the new stuff into route relations ...
> Corey

Cheers, Chris