[Talk-transit] All about bus stops

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 15:31:38 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Shaun McDonald
<shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk> wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2009, at 00:59, Corey Burger wrote:
>> * Beside way or in way
>> The current consensus seems to be to put it on the side. Make routing
>> difficult, but I suppose if we make all sidewalks footways, then that
>> would solve the issue.
> They should be beside the way, like post boxes, phones, atms and
> bicycle parking. If you do the routing right, it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with Shaun that they should be besides the way, as close to
their actual physical location as possible.

I think that this is a similar problem to houses, they are of the way,
and related to the way but not actually on it which leads me to think
that we should use some variant of one of the solutions being used for
house numbering.  My preference would be to adapt (as little as
possible!) the Karlsruhe house numbering schema.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Karlsruhe_Schema

Bus routes can then be layered on top.

>> * Bus routes that stop at the stop
>> We can either tag them on the stop or add them to the route relation.
>> I favour the latter, as it makes it easier to change stops.
>
> I also favour the later as you can then find out exactly which streets
> that the bus goes along. In 0.6 relations become ordered, which means
> that you will be able to determine the order of the roads.

My feeling would be that a bus route relation would need to include an
ordered list of bus-stops and a seperate ordered list of ways to allow
for buses that take strange (i.e. non-direct) routes and buses that go
both ways along a road on their way in and out of an area without
making the editing horrible or forcing people to split ways at every
bus stop.

--
 Brian