[Talk-transit] catching up

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 14:58:09 GMT 2009

2009/1/10 Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>:
> With regard to bus stops then I think the NaPTAN import will be a good
> exercise in sorting some of the tagging issues. I would encourage the
> use of namespaces for some purposes - for example I suggest we have a
> 'naptan:' namespace to hold specific data that we imported from NaPTAN
> in its original format and then use simple tags for the name OSM
> concepts (a bit like was achieved with Tiger). For example NaPTAN has
> three elements for the stop name 'Locality', 'Common Name' and
> 'Indicator' which can be used in different ways to construct a useful
> name in different circumstances. We might want to store that raw
> information as 'naptan:locality' 'naptan:common_name' and
> 'naptan:indicator'. From these will will then agree how to construct a
> string to put in the 'name=' tag.
>
> Before getting stuck into the NaPTAN import itself can we make sure
> that everyone who wants to be part of it is subscribed to this list? I
> will ask the people who have told me they are interested and also the
> people who have expressed interest on the NaPTAN page. Anyone else?
> Can I suggest people put out invites of their own national lists. I
> will invite Joe Hughes.

Regarding NaPTAN, I've begun reading their data schema and have tried
to start a 'tag mapping' wiki page, so we can assign NaPTAN's data
elements to tags.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NaPTAN/Tag_mappings
My notation may be a bit hard to follow in places, I've tried to
expand out their XML structure, but it probably isn't required since
anybody creating a converter would be referring to the schema anyway..

I have a moderate interest in this, but will be unable to put much
serious effort into it until the end of the month. (Winter exam
season)

Thomas Wood
(Edgemaster)