[Talk-transit] catching up

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 16:35:50 GMT 2009

2009/1/10 Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>:
> On 10 Jan 2009, at 14:58, Thomas Wood wrote:
>> 2009/1/10 Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>:
> Good work. I will go thought it at some point and make my own observations.
>
> Initial comment. Can we please import the naptan fields using the identical
> attribute unless there is a really good reason not to; for example AtcoCode
> should be imported into naptan:AtcoCode rather than naptan:id. The reason
> for this is to avoid confusions (there are about 6 'ids' for the stop,
> platecodes, privatecodes and naptancodes all of which will be treated by
> someone as the 'id'.

The number of codes is bewildering, I'm wondering how the London bus
stop scheme fits into all this.
http://flickr.com/photos/grandedgemaster/2633740988/
I've usually collected the reference letter and the yellow ID code
from the ones I've mapped. And tagged them (ignoring almost everyone
else's schemes with id= and ref= )

> I don't think many people will use the raw attributes a lot. I assume we
> will populate other more normal fields from them so it doesn't matter that
> they are a little verbose.
>
> When the NaPTAN Attribute name is Description/CommonName etc, we could
> possible drop the Description/ for the main name (and most only have one I
> think).  If there are more than one then we can construct a more complex
> name. So the main CommonName would be naptan:CommonName, not
> naptan:Descriptor/CommonName

Yes, the Descriptor/ bits are just for the reference of anybody
creating a converter, rather than being used as a part of the tag.

> Let us know how you get on - I see that you are still plugging away at it.

Thomas Wood
(Edgemaster)