[Talk-transit] catching up

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jan 13 16:57:01 GMT 2009

On 13 Jan 2009, at 14:52, Brian Quinion wrote:

>>> I am sure they would be happy with us doing to passes over a few
>>> months. We
>>> need to introduce ourselves to them early next week.
>
> If they are happy we are happy, but once imported data in OSM never
> really goes away because it is of course in the history so anything we
> add to the main OSM database is added forever.

That is fine. All they are wishing to avoid at this time is for
current XML files to be available from our servers for free
unrestricted download which would cause concern in other bits of the
DfT.

I am sure we can retain and re-parse the data a number of times in
order to a) get something into OSM soon, and b) get more detail into
OSM in due course.

>> Quite a lot of it is directly related to the administration of NaPTAN
>> data, and thus we won't require it.
>> Some AdministrativeArea may be worth mapping onto boundary relations
>> of their respective counties.
>> District info looks to be essentially useless, with only names being
>> provided, I guess we could extrapolate the points within each
>> district
>> to get a rough outline.
>> We'll get considerable duplication with existing OSM data for
>> localities, so we're going to have to be clever with the import of
>> this layer.
>
> I'm wondering if the first step might be to import the data to a
> seperate database so that we can render an overlay on to the existing
> OSM data without populating the main database.  We could then get the
> overlay as correct as possible and give other editors the ability to
> double check it before it became final.

I suggest that we initially add bus stops form NaPTAN as long as there
isn't a bus stops within 100 meters in the OM dataset. We can agree
which fields to fill in from NaPTAN in this initial import.

We then also produce a list (and map?) of bus stops in NaPTAN where
there are stops in OSM within 100 meters and decide for the different
areas what we do about this - do we replace the existing data or graft
the new into what is there.

We might want to deal with station, airports and ferries separately
and also deal with places separately.

We could probably also produce a small list of contributors who have
added many bus stops who we should involve in the discussion. When I
say we, I should be clear that I am happy to help with the
organisation of it but won't be writing code.

If anyone else wants to be involved in the import then do add your
name to the NaPTAN page, but I think we have enough people to do the
work. I have included David Earl in this email as he did offer to help
some time back. I am keen that we identify a group of people to do the
work now, then with that stable group agree who is doing what and then
get on with it.

I suggest we now get an email communication going off-list with the
DfT to agree how we access the data and where we are going to host it
and how we are going to actually get it. Lets give people until the
end of tomorrow to express interest and then agree the work-group.

Is that ok with others?

Peter