[Talk-transit] All about bus stops

Joe Hughes joe at headwayblog.com
Sun Jan 18 21:23:15 GMT 2009

Thanks for contributing a concrete proposal, Gerrit.  At this point
I'm not familiar enough with OSM metadata practices to comment on
those particulars, but here are some general thoughts.  Hopefully
Peter Miller and/or Nick Knowles will also chime in from a
TransModel/UK perspective.

1) Hopefully, whatever scheme we end up with will encourage placement
of stop points at the location where riders should wait, rather than
the middle of the way.  When a stop ends up shown in the middle of an
intersection, it can be a confusing process for a rider to determine
which corner they're supposed to be standing on.

2) Bus stops don't always occur on public roads.  Most often this
happens when the stop is in a shopping center parking lot (the nearest
thoroughfare is often a significant walking distance away), but it can
also occur with bus-only ways (Pittsburgh, PA busways and Boston's
Silver Line) and other oddities like bus-only lanes going opposite the
normal flow of traffic on a one-way street.

3) It is generally useful to be able to group individual stop points
into a parent entity, as this can be used to reduce visual clutter on
a map.  Typical use cases would be for bus and train stations with
many platforms/bays, as well as stop points that are roughly right
across a street/intersection from each other.  TransModel allows
arbitrary levels of nesting, while GTFS has a one-level mechanism for
grouping "stops" into a parent "station".

Joe