[Talk-transit] All about bus stops

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:11:23 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:13 PM, <listen at 00l.de> wrote:

> Hello Peter, Gerald.
>
> In my proposal i would tag it like the following:
> have a railway=halt on the rails for each place a train may stop, for the
> platform I would tag the whole thing (usually a way) with railway=platform.
> All together goes into a relation as described earlier.
>
> ######a#############b######
> ===========================
> ######c#############d######
>
> === is tagged with railway=platform; ref=6,7; name=...
> a would be railway=halt; ref=6a; ...
> b would be railway=halt; ref=6b; ...
> c would be railway=halt; ref=7a; ...
> d would be railway=halt; ref=7b; ...
>
> (again: Maybe amenity=platform would be more logical, but railway=platform
> exists, thats why I use it for now).
>
> That way it can be rendered nicely and I can add either node "a" or "b" to
> my train route, and have a good grade of reality.

Okay, let me further clarify how this works locally (I'm not sure if this is
true of other locales -- but I think the trolleys in San Francisco would
work similarly, at least)

Some of our streetcars have their own rights of way. Many, however, share
their "tracks" with regular "car" traffic. What I referred to above was an
Island _between_ two lanes of traffic, where one of the "lanes" also serves
the streetcar. (This might be described by your situation above, but I
wanted to make sure).

These Islands regularly occur close to intersections. They
wouldn't necessarily interfere with u-turns, but do prohibit cars from
changing lanes for their duration. I'll try and take some pictures of them
(or find some on flickr) and check out how they are mapped currently -- but
really these are in the middle of the way.

Hope that doesn't confuse too much.

Thanks,
Gerald.