[Talk-transit] All about bus stops

Christian Krützfeldt christian at balticfinance.com
Mon Jan 26 19:44:45 GMT 2009

Looking at the ideas posted up to now, most people would prefer putting the bus stop next to the road instead of on the road.
But what is a bus stop? Is it the physical place where a bus comes to a stop as in stop to let people in and out? Or is a bus stop the place where there is a sign "bus stop" ?

In most cases the bus stops on the road, over here in Germany there are in lots of cases extra lanes or "bays" where the bus stops, but it is definitely part of the road network.

I would tag the place where the bus stops (as in comes to a halt) as lane information on the road.
If it is some sort of extra bay, then the road has an extra lane for 25 meter, 100 yards or however long it is. Maybe use something like lane=busstop.

If the bus stops on the normal lane (where I would drive with my car) then just add lane=busstop to the part of the road where the bus stops.

This is important information. On a road where the bus stops on the lane I would drive on, it will probably take longer for me to drive than on roads where the bus stops in extra bays and I could pass while the bus is stopped.
Also tourist bus drivers might be interested in knowing if there is a bay where they could stop and let everybody out without interfering with all other traffic. Or truck drivers, do they have to stop in the middle of the road to unload or can they use a bus stop to do there unloading?

In addition to tagging where the bus stops, it should be possible to tag the location of any shelters or signs with bus timetables.

Any maybe it could be a good idea to add all the individual tags into one relation and call it a bus stop plus give it the name of the bus stop.

Example:
For a bus stop with a bay for the bus to stop on both sides of the road and signs, plus one shelter with a bench, I would tag the following.

Split the way according to where the bays are and add extra lanes to the way on that part of the way. Add lane=busstop to the lanes.
Tag the two signs with something like amenity=busstopsign. And the shelter with shelter=yes bench=yes.
Then create a relation. Tag it with type=busstop name=NameOfTheBusStop and add the shelter, the two signs plus the part of the road where the bus stops to it.

See:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/lane_and_lane_group
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/lane_and_lane_group/Example_01
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Lane