[Talk-transit] All about bus stops

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jan 27 16:33:27 GMT 2009

On 26 Jan 2009, at 19:44, Christian Krützfeldt wrote:

> Looking at the ideas posted up to now, most people would prefer
> putting the bus stop next to the road instead of on the road.
> But what is a bus stop? Is it the physical place where a bus comes
> to a stop as in stop to let people in and out? Or is a bus stop the
> place where there is a sign "bus stop" ?

Good question. TransModel defines a Stop Points as 'A POINT where
passengers can board or alight from vehicles. ' Is has been my
understanding that it is where the passenger waits to board or alight,
ie close to where the bus's door will be, but not where they would get
run over! I suggest we use this definition, and for convenience use
the position of the pole or the shelter. The roadway where the vehicle
arrives should be a highway of some sort, possibly service?

> In most cases the bus stops on the road, over here in Germany there
> are in lots of cases extra lanes or "bays" where the bus stops, but
> it is definitely part of the road network.

I would suggest one codes all the places vehicles can move as
highway=service and create areas where pedestrians wait as
highway=footway and area=yes? and then add points to them for the
stops themselves?

Do anyone have a good one to put forward as an exemplar?

> I would tag the place where the bus stops (as in comes to a halt) as
> lane information on the road.
> If it is some sort of extra bay, then the road has an extra lane for
> 25 meter, 100 yards or however long it is. Maybe use something like
> lane=busstop.
>
> If the bus stops on the normal lane (where I would drive with my
> car) then just add lane=busstop to the part of the road where the
> bus stops.
>

> This is important information. On a road where the bus stops on the
> lane I would drive on, it will probably take longer for me to drive
> than on roads where the bus stops in extra bays and I could pass
> while the bus is stopped.
> Also tourist bus drivers might be interested in knowing if there is
> a bay where they could stop and let everybody out without
> interfering with all other traffic. Or truck drivers, do they have
> to stop in the middle of the road to unload or can they use a bus
> stop to do there unloading?

Sounds like a good idea. Could we generalise this a little though from
'lane=busstop'; could we in general use a name that is also suitable
for other modes, such as trams, trains etc.