[Talk-transit] West Mids Bus Routes

Christoph Boehme christoph at b3e.net
Wed Jul 1 14:09:33 BST 2009

Thomas Wood wrote:
> 2009/7/1 Christoph Boehme <christoph at b3e.net>:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
>>
>>> FYI, I'm only adding the routes in for sections where I've already verified
>>> the NaPTAN bus stops and added the route refs displayed at the stop.
>> I it might be helpful here that I recently updated the Naptanmerger (now
>> renamed to Novam as Brian suggested) and it now displays all nodes
>> within the UK with naptan:AtcoCode or highway=bus_stop set. It also
>> indicates the completeness of the tagging by using different colours.
>>
>> http://www.mappa-mercia.org/cgi-bin/novam.wsgi/
>>
>> The current database dump is from 29/06/09 and I am currently testing a
>> script that will apply the hourly diffs to the database. This will
>> hopefully ready for use on the server within the next weeks.
>>
>> The tool now has most of its client-side functions implemented. Though,
>> there are a couple things missing or not working properly (especially
>> the selection/marking state of the icons on the map). You can play
>> around with it as much as you like since no actual changes are made on
>> the server yet.
>>
>> There are three hidden functions:
>>
>> 1. Shift+Clicking on a bus stop selects this bus stop instead of marking
>>
>>    it for merging when another bus stop is selected at the moment.
>> 2. Control+Clicking on images (none in the database at the moment)
>>    selects the position of the image.
>> 3. The currently selected bus stop can be moved on the map to change its
>>
>>    position.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Christoph

> Very nice, can't review it in full now, since I'm away until Monday.

In case you wondered about the Internal Errors: the Waypoints and Images
links are deliberately not working. I have not added verification of the
uploaded data yet. Therefore, I disabled the methods.

> However, I think it'd be good if you could link to the osm.org browse
> view for the node, or show the raw tagging so people can get an idea
> how it handles various tags?

Yes, that is a good idea. At the moment, the merge preview basically
shows the original tags; it only strips the naptan: prefix.
The way different tags are handled can easily be changed if needed. I
have not implemented any particular suggestions that arose from the
public transport tagging scheme yet. So, once decisions have been made
there the editor can be updated. I also need to add a method to handle
tags which are not part of the tagging scheme (discarding them silently
is probably not an option).

> Also, what do the colours mean?

blue = Naptan stop (no highway=bus_stop but a naptan:AtcoCode tag)
yellow = plain OSM stop (highway=bus_stop but no naptan:AtcoCode tag)
orange = Merged stop (highway=bus_stop and naptan:AtcoCode, but is still
          unverified or has no shelter tag set*)
green = Merged and verified stop

* I do not remember off the top of my head if there is another rule. I
think we discussed something about route tags on the mailing list. I
need to check the code to provide reliable information.

Christoph