[Talk-transit] West Mids Bus Routes

Peter J Stoner stonerpj at mytraveline.info
Thu Jul 2 13:52:17 BST 2009

In message <ab4a6cf40907020539v71072fb3uedec10d922b0bff9 at mail.gmail.co
m>
          Brian Prangle <bprangle at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Have a go at mapping one bus route to start with - it's great fun!  We were
> helped enormously by having the trial NaPTAN import so we got a good grid of
> bus stops mapped where we agreed as a local group to make sure all the route
> nos where displayed on bus stops were tagged. It's a good idea to travel a
> bus route and take a GPS track ( great for wet miserable days when you don't
> want to cycle). If there's a plethora of operators just pick the biggest and
> map their routes.

I tried to do a bit of Route 50 yesterday which I know very well from
staying at the Paragon Hotel.  As you will see I got into a bit of a
tangle with the relation description. Maybe somewhere there is
guidance on this.

It is quite a lot of work and I do wonder if there are easier ways to
provide OSM with where the routes go.

The immediate value to the public transport industry will be OSM local
verification of the bus stop positions and the naming of stops,
streets and localities.

Best wishes.

--
Peter J Stoner