[Talk-transit] [Spam] Re: West Mids Bus Routes

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Jul 2 14:02:57 BST 2009

On 2 Jul 2009, at 13:52, Peter J Stoner wrote:

> In message <ab4a6cf40907020539v71072fb3uedec10d922b0bff9 at mail.gmail.co
> m>
>          Brian Prangle <bprangle at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Have a go at mapping one bus route to start with - it's great fun!
>> We were
>> helped enormously by having the trial NaPTAN import so we got a
>> good grid of
>> bus stops mapped where we agreed as a local group to make sure all
>> the route
>> nos where displayed on bus stops were tagged. It's a good idea to
>> travel a
>> bus route and take a GPS track ( great for wet miserable days when
>> you don't
>> want to cycle). If there's a plethora of operators just pick the
>> biggest and
>> map their routes.
>

> I tried to do a bit of Route 50 yesterday which I know very well from
> staying at the Paragon Hotel.  As you will see I got into a bit of a
> tangle with the relation description. Maybe somewhere there is
> guidance on this.
>
> It is quite a lot of work and I do wonder if there are easier ways to
> provide OSM with where the routes go.

I have just tagged streets in Ipswich with route=bus if buses go down
them - it doesn't show bus routes but does show the network diagram,
however unfortunately that tagging is no longer recognised by
opvenkart. I know that Peter Stoner was doing the same in his patch.
Is there any good reason to deprecate route=bus in that way and if so
then how does one smiply tag a road as being on the bus network or not?