[Talk-transit] Railway route relations

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 8 13:50:45 BST 2009

The public transport schema says we should be tagging rail service relations
as:

No route tag
line=rail
service = high_speed / long_distance / regional / commuter
ref = service reference
nat_ref = national timetable reference

Whereas oepnv-karte is seems to be rendering on the basis of:
green for route=light_rail (being used for S-Bahn, ie service=commuter)
yellow for route=train (being used for pretty much everything else)
brown for route=railway (being used for odd leftover bits)

The schema seems to allow the use of relations for infrastructure (use
route=railway), but does not particularly encourage that.

I would take it that actually the best approach is to tag as per the schema
(using an Operator code for the ref until we think of something better), and
hope/assume Melchior adds rendering support in due course?

Richard