[Talk-transit] Naptan import

Christoph Böhme christoph at b3e.net
Sun Jul 26 22:14:06 BST 2009

Hi

Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> schrieb:
> I am also aware that there is a 50K place gazetteer sitting there
> untouched - last week I was adding villages in Norfolk by hand and
> the data is sitting available in NPTG.

I taught myself XSLT at the weekend and played a bit with the NPTG
data. On http://www.mappa-mercia.org/nptg/ you can find some html-pages
which show the hierarchies of and adjacencies between the localities in
the NTPG data.

I also created a copy of the NOVAM viewer and changed it to display
NTPG data instead of bus stops:

http://www.mappa-mercia.org/cgi-bin/nptg.wsgi/viewer.html

I have not changed any of the texts/images yet, so the localities will
be displayed as bus stops :-). I will try to import an excerpt of place
names from OSM tomorrow so that we can compare both data sets.

From what I have seen so far an import should not be too difficult. The
only difficulties I expect are the hierarchies and the classification
of the localities.

Does anyone know the current way to tag hierarchies of places? I had a
look at the wiki and there seem to be two approaches: is_in and
relations. With the addition of actual borders there is also the
possibility of defining hierarchies purely geometrical.

The location classifications in the NPTG seem to be relatively coarse.
Everything below a parish is either a "New Entry" (Add) or a Locality.
We need to see how this can be mapped to POI types in OSM.

> Do you need help with the NaPTAN import or are you just about ready
> to do the work? Do we need to set up a wiki page where people can
> request imports for their authority or are we going to do it without
> that?

I am happy to continue working on the NPTG import if Thomas does not
mind.

	Christoph