[Talk-transit] Naptan import

Christoph Böhme christoph at b3e.net
Wed Jul 29 18:36:02 BST 2009

"Roger Slevin" <roger at slevin.plus.com> schrieb:

> Christoph
>
> Sorry - I now realise I shouldn't have referred to "inactive"
> localities ... this is something I can see on the editor system for
> NPTG, but the export only shows the active localities ... the records
> of the inactive ones are not included in the standard XML file.  I
> would need to check whether it is possible to get an extract from
> NPTG which includes inactive records (or only comprises the inactive
> ones) - but that is a question I will only ask if someone can suggest
> that some useful purpose could be served by having access to that
> data.

The only reason for using the inactive data I can see is a comparison
with OSM-only places. This could indicate NPTG places which might have
been deactivated because they are not part of the public transport
network. Unless we want to add data from NPTG to existing OSM stops
(e.g. the locality code) this information is probably more relevant to
the DoT than OSM.

However, since places in OSM might be derived from NPE maps, OSM-only
places could also mean that the locality has been abandoned in the time
since 1950. Your brief history of NPTG indicates to me that the data is
probably much more recent then NPE's 1950 data. It might therefore be
interesting to know which places are only in OSM and not even in the
inactive NPTG data. Such places have then probably been abandoned a
long time ago.

Christoph