[Talk-transit] Railway route relations

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Jul 29 21:20:48 BST 2009

On 29 Jul 2009, at 20:27, Jochen Topf wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 04:24:34PM +0100, Frankie Roberto wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>> I think the problem is that we are using the term Route for at
>>> least two
>>> different things.
>>>

>> The more I think about it, the more I think this needs resolving
>> (and well
>> documenting)!
>>
>> The first question is what does route=railway denote, the
>> infrastructure or
>> the service pattern?
>
> This has been solved in Sebastians proposal:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Oxomoa/Public_transport_schema#Differentiation_between_railway_lines_and_railway_routes

I agree that the issues was addressed by Sebastian's proposal, however
I think 'solved' is stretching it a little.

There are a number of different proposals in play at present and we
urgently need to bring then together into an agreed recommendation.

For the record, there were various discussions on talk-transit during
late May and early June in relation to Sebastian's proposal with input
from many parties including the various OSM mappers but also from the
UK Department for Transport, Traveline and CEN.

This conversation resulted in changes to the wiki page but was
basically aborted when it became clear that this discussion was not
compatible with the deadline for Sebastian's thesis on which his input
to the project was based. The article was reverted to the page prior
to that input and the discussion stopped. I respect his right to
control the content of  a page in his personal wiki-area, but it
should not be referenced by the wider community as the agreed position
of the community.

For the record, this was the article prior to the reversion:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=User:Oxomoa/Public_transport_schema&oldid=278935

Can I propose that we move this 'pre-reversion' version to the main
wiki space and continue to work on the many issues raised by the
proposal on this list?

We will then have some robust and versatile tagging standards for
transit data that will work for the longer term.