[Talk-transit] Railway route relations

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Wed Jul 29 22:25:35 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:

 > The first question is what does route=railway denote, the infrastructure
> or
> > the service pattern?
>
> This has been solved in Sebastians proposal:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Oxomoa/Public_transport_schema#Differentiation_between_railway_lines_and_railway_routes

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen this. I agree with Peter that we need to
bring these various proposals together, form some kind of consensus, and
document it fully on the main wiki pages (eg
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Routes)

Interestingly, if I understand it correctly, the division between "route"
and "line" in Sebastian's proposal is exactly opposite to what I'd
intuitively have guessed at from the words.  eg, we have the "West Coast
Main Line" (the infrastructure or rail corridor) and "the route of the
Flying Scotsman" (the schedule service route).

So if it was me, I think I'd name them the opposite way round. However, so
long as we document them clearly (with examples), I guess it doesn't matter
too much which words we use.

As a first step, I think it'd be useful to look at some concrete examples,
see how they're currently tagged in OSM, and suggest ways in which the
various schemes would be applied.

I've started doing this a bit with the UK's tram networks (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Trams), which so far use
route=tram to tag the service patterns of the trams (which seem to sometimes
be called lines, and sometimes routes).

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto