[Talk-transit] Public transport workshop in Germany

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Mon Jun 1 08:34:06 BST 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>wrote:

> > The current situation with bus stops is more messy. (Just see
> > Birmigham which seems to entirely consist of bus stops.) While
> > stop places in the new schema allow to clean this up a bit, again,
> > the renderer only has the choice to either paint two many
> > symbols (all access points or all stopping points) or badly
> > guess where to put the single point.
>
> Which rendering view are you using? for the main Mapnik view on
> openstreetmap there are no bus stops until one zooms in to zoom 17 at
> which point there are certainly lots of bus stops (accesses).

It's good to see that we're not the only ones with this problem, though.
Google Maps seems to render a huge number of bus stops now that they've
imported public transit data for the uk. See
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=manchester,+uk&sll=37.579413,-95.712891&sspn=30.958234,75.234375&ie=UTF8&ll=53.479797,-2.239387&spn=0.005708,0.018368&z=16for
instance.

That view contains two bus stations (by Piccadilly Gardens and the coach
station by Chorlton Street), and yet both a rendered simply as a mass of
access points, rather than a singular named node (which would be more
useful).

So if we can solve this problem, we'll be one up on Google! :-)

Frankie

P.S It's good to see that platforms are now rendering on Mapnik (see
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.477811&lon=-2.243247&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF),
however I note that it's not coping well with platforms that are areas (as
closed ways with area=yes).  Having blue arrows on the tramlines that are
marked with oneway=yes is also a little odd.

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle

Sent from Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom