[Talk-transit] Public transport workshop in Germany

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Jun 1 09:47:00 BST 2009

On 1 Jun 2009, at 08:41, Roger Slevin wrote:

> Google take a feed of NaPTAN stop point data – and hence something
> like Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester is a mass of them.
>
> NaPTAN does have the facility to hold stoparea data – but the data
> is not fully populated (as it is not useful when presenting journey
> itineraries to the public – or local information systems have their
> own way of creating such stopareas on the fly without requiring the
> data to be held explicitly in NaPTAN records).
>
> We did experiment with using stopareas with Google – but the need to
> link the data to Google Transit for specific journey planning meant
> that you were told to catch a  bus at, say, Piccadilly Gardens –
> rather than from stop 10 at Piccadilly Gardens ... and for
> itineraries to be useful, the “stop 10” bit is quite important!

Interesting. Fyi, I have up-loaded images from a couple of places in
the UK where Stop Areas/Stop Places are used. Notice that in some
places there are nested stop places. For our purposes we can consider
Stop Place and Stop Area to be referring to the same thing, however
the correct technical term in CEN for the stuff on the ground is a
Stop Place.

London
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterito/3584182693/

Leeds
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterito/3584989420/

There are times when the hierarchy is useful - for example one might
first ask to go from Manchester to London, and then be offered routes
from Manchester Piccadilly or Manchester Oxford Road to London
Victoria Coach Station or London Euston, and then finally when one has
chosen the actual journey one might be told to use Platform 10 from
Manchester Piccadilly Railway Station. Similarly for large bus/coach
interchanges. For some bus/coach/rail interchanges one doesn't
actually know which Access will be used until shortly before the
vehicle departs so one can only give the station itself as the
starting point.

I do think that if we should accommodate this richer information where
it is available and where people want to built it and then people will
start using it for creative things, such as reducing the clutter on
zoomed out maps (Google just ignores bus stops as one zooms out to
stop it getting unmanageable, something which would not be ok for  a
bus-centric map).

We could also consider using tools to automatically build stop places
and associate Accesses with Stopping Places to stop it being too
complicated for mappers.