[Talk-transit] Public transport schema

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Jun 3 02:22:14 BST 2009

Thomas Wood wrote:
> 2009/6/2 Sebastian Schwarz <yugo at kahlfrost.de>:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Well, I have been en-route the last days and thus did not have time to
>> respond to any of the numerous mails covering almost all aspects of
>> the new proposal relating to public transport. But I see the
>> discussion sort of loosing sight of the mappers. From my point of
>> view, we should find a good compromise which primarily serves the
>> mappers and not the CEN. So, the schema should not be as compliant as
>> possible to the standards but as good as possible for the mappers -
>> provided with a reasonable part of standard compliance, of course. We
>> do not want to model Heathrow Airport (apart from that, airports have
>> never been part of the proposal!) but we want to start with the bus
>> station around the corner!
>
> But by it's nature as the foundation of how transportation stop areas
> are represented in OSM, then airports are important as a higher tier
> of transportation.

Depends on the part of the world.  If you're in the US, the pain in the
ass, time required and sheer expense associated with air travel starts
making Amtrak, VIARail and booking rooms on transoceanic cargo ships
starts looking like a real attractive option regardless of the distance,
relegating air travel to a more useless position than the US NCN...