[Talk-transit] Multiple tracks

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sun Jun 21 15:00:15 BST 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 07:24:37AM +0200, Cartinus wrote:
> On Saturday 20 June 2009 22:20:09 Jochen Topf wrote:
> > Can you think of any software or at least give an algorithm that would make
> > use of this tag?
>
> When you use a different linestyle for rendering single and double track, then
> (for the middle zoom levels) you can use the linestyle for double track on
> any single track that has this extra tag. Aggregation then takes care of
> itself.

So, do I understand this correctly: On small zoom levels you want to render all
tracks with track=1ofX and all with track=YofX with Y!=1 don't get rendered. It
is the responsibility of the mapper to decide which of several tracks gets to
be number one, because this is the only one rendered (presumably a "middle"
one, if available). Of course you still have to render all tracks without this
tag, because you don't know how they hang together.

I guess this could work for rendering. There'll probably be some oddities
where different railways join, but for small enough zoom levels one can't
see that. Mappers would need some guidance on how to tag railway yards,
larger stations etc. so that it comes out right.

Jochen