[Talk-transit] [Spam] Re: Multiple tracks

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Jun 22 17:21:21 BST 2009

On 22 Jun 2009, at 12:53, Richard Mann wrote:

> On Roger's point about sidings - I'd map those as a separate track
> group, since they are the sorts of things people would expect to
> disappear at lower zooms. So north of Oxford station, I'd have the 4
> down carriage sidings as one group, the four running lines as one
> group and the 4 up carriage sidings as a third group. Within each of
> those three groups, you could either do the individual tracks (as
> 1of4), or the tracks as a group (tracks=4).
>
> On loops, I'd probably exclude them from the running lines group,
> and use other tags (perhaps has_loops=yes) to tell me that there are
> extra tracks for a short-distance. You might also do has_loops:left
> and has_loops:right, but one-sided rendering is on the tricky side.
> So just south of Oxford at Kennington, you'd have the two running
> lines as tracks=2 (or 2xtracks=1of2) with has_loops=yes. If I had
> done the two tracks separately, the renderer would be entitled to
> expect me to have done the freight loops separately as well, so they
> can ignore has_loops=yes at high zooms, and just render the ways
> that have been drawn.

Can I suggest that as a start you create the detailed track layout and
then we can look at different grouping strategies and see which ones
the Mapnik people and routing people will find useful. Whatever you do
should work for rail and trams and I see no reason for there not to be
generality with roads. Lets not worry too much about the wrapping
until we have stuff to wrap.

For your interest, here is an example road interchange which can be
rendered as a dot if required, or used in driving instructions as
'turn left at the 'Whitehouse Junction'.

Here is a dual-carriageway example - just bind all the parallel ways
together and a renderer can then do a line down the middle at some
point.

Here is a railway station where all the elements (including tracks,
sidings, platforms, buildings, car parking, taxi ranks and cycle
racks) are all part of a relation.

And here is a sample rail junction wrapped up using a relation:-

This should make it very easy for a renderer. The general rule is 'if
you can't fit in all the detail on the map and it is part of a
relation then do a single dot or single line for the whole thing.