[Talk-transit] [Spam] Re: Multiple tracks

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Tue Jun 23 07:52:55 BST 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>wrote:

> Can I suggest that as a start you create the detailed track layout and then
> we can look at different grouping strategies and see which ones the Mapnik
> people and routing people will find useful. Whatever you do should work for
> rail and trams and I see no reason for there not to be generality with
> roads. Lets not worry too much about the wrapping until we have stuff to
> wrap.

I think this is a good approach.  Using a tracks=1ofX tag could end up a
complete waste of time if renderers can use the relations to dynamically
pick whether to draw one track or more anyway.  Mapnik seems to decide how
many POIs to render based partly on how many it can fit on the map, so this
doesn't seem infeasible.

I'd like to see some discussion about strategies for tagging individual
tracks though. I've attempted to do it in a few places, but mainly only at
stations (where I've also drawn the platforms).

Has anyone attempted to draw the switches where two lines meet? How about
adding oneway=yes? Level crossings?

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto