[Talk-transit] NaPTAN and the new PT tagging schema

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Jun 24 18:01:07 BST 2009

On 24 Jun 2009, at 14:51, Thomas Wood wrote:

> Hi all,
> It's about time to push on the import to the rest of the UK, however,
> we must first consider what we do with the new Public Transport
> tagging schema.

Sounds good. I know there is a lot of interest in this.

> It would make a lot of sense to use this now that a detailed proposal
> has been put together.
>
> The only real differences it would make for us are:
> * additionally tagging all highway=bus_stop nodes with
> public_transport=platform, bus=yes
> * moving NaPTAN's StopAreas from the unified stoparea proposal
> (relation type=site, site=stop_area) to relation
> type=public_transport, public_transport=stop_area
> * NaPTAN allows for cascading StopAreas, I'm of the view that to
> simplify the import we follow the NaPTAN precedent and import them
> with the same structure, rather than using a stop_area_group relation.

As well as the 'unified stop area' proposal there is Oxomoa's proposal
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Oxomoa/
Public_transport_schema) and the derivative of it which incorporate
input from others including myself and the professional community. I
don't think we have got agreement on these different proposals yet - I
know that there is a trial tagging using Oxomoa's proposal in Germany
but that they are open to some further tagging adjustment. Others may
be using other schemes such as the unified stop area.

With reference to Oxomoa's proposal, we now have agreement from him
for the project to take a copy of his proposal as of the 31st May
after Nimix's edit to the main wiki and develop it from there with
suitable acknowledgement. I will make a copy of it to the main wiki if
that is ok with others where we can work on it further. I know there
is a concern that it might be getting too complex, so lets discuss it
and see if we can keep it comprehensive and make it easier to use as
well.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=User:Oxomoa/Public_transport_schema&oldid=278935

Can I suggest that we treat this import and any final tagging as a
separate issue on separate timeline from the NaPTAN import just so
long as no important information in the NaPTAN DB is lost in the
process. We can then take the time to get agreement on the new tagging
and also update the renderers to support the new tagging before
converting the data.

> As far as the import is going, I'm still yet to patch the missing
> fields onto the Birmingham data, which is probably going to be my next
> task.

Sound good, but I am keen to see data for Suffolk soon if possible and
it would be great to have the whole import completed prior to the
State of the Map conference where Peter Stoner from Traveline will be
talking on the Friday.