[Talk-transit] Heritage Railways
frankie at frankieroberto.com
Sun Jun 28 15:56:41 BST 2009
I've spent some time this weekend going through the list of heritage
adding route relations to them. I'm about 50% of the way through so
Some points/questions to the group:
* I've been adding both the ways and the stations to the relation - the
stations as role=stop. Is this correct?
* Am not sure whether the name should still be attached to the ways or not.
On the one hand, it's a lot of duplication, and in some cases, the way might
have a different name from the route (eg it might be a bridge, with its own
name). On the other hand, having the name attached to the ways might be
useful for renderers.
* I've given all the routes the name of the railway (eg "The Bluebell
Railway") rather than the end-to-end name that is common for mainline routes
* I've added the website address of the railway to the relation in a few
cases (using url=).
* There are a few cases where the actual track extends beyond the final
station (eg used for turning the train around, or as an occasional link to
the National Rail network). I haven't included these bits within the
relation, on the presumption that they aren't part of the 'route' that
passengers actually experience.
* Is there any additional information that could be captured at a relation
level? Wikipedia reference? Months of operation? Operator? (this is often
the same as the name)
Finally, if someone fancies doing a nice rendering of the UK clearly showing
all of the heritage railway lines (perhaps with just terrain contours as a
background), then I'll offer up to GBP 20 for a print of it... :-)
Experience Designer, Rattle
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Talk-transit