[Talk-transit] Trolley bus overhead wires

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Sun Jun 28 23:24:56 BST 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de> wrote:

> I've mapped the Illinois Railway Museum (www.irm.org, fantastic place
> for any train fancier!), and they have a short segment of road with
> overhead trolley bus wires, so they can run their collection of
> trolley busses.

Nice!

> How do I tag roads that have overhead wire installed?  I've searched
> both the wiki and the list archives, and the only refernce I can come
> up with is trolley_wire=installed (on
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Inspector/Views/Public_Transport_-_Non-rail_Infrastructure
> )
>
> What's the preferred way to tag such ways?

Good question.  I don't think I've ever seen any actual tagging of
trolleybus routes on the map.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Oxomoa/Public_transport_schemasuggests
using
trolley_wire=yes <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:trolley_wire%3Dyes>,
which is probably marginally preferable to trolley_wire=installed, as it
mirrors other *=yes tags.

Either way, we should probably document it on the wiki so that it's a little
more findable!

Frankie
--
Frankie Roberto