[Talk-transit] NaPTAN bus stop database import

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 01:15:43 GMT 2009

2009/3/1 Thomas Wood <grand.edgemaster at gmail.com>:
> 2009/2/28 Brian Prangle <bprangle at googlemail.com>:
> In other news, whilst on the train to (and from) York today, I wrote a
> sizable chunk of the StopArea code for the converter. It's in a mostly
> working state, the only issues I have to work out are StopArea
> hierarchies, particularly when a StopArea is defined in another
> region's dataset, the national rail one, for example.
> I'm either going to have to do a mass convert of the whole dataset at
> once (which I'm not looking forward to, since I suspect the memory use
> will skyrocket), or try and resolve the dependencies by parsing the
> national datasets to get a hash of all the StopAreas, and then append
> on the county level StopAreas as and when they're created, finally we
> can then upload the national StopArea points, as and when we get
> around to those types of data. (AIrports, NatRail, to name a few)

Whilst in York, I was able to photograph some bus stops, I've done a
quick comparison of the data, it seems to be the worst in terms of
standards compliance so far, but seems to be quite self consistent,
which is a small bonus.

Why quote the above? Well, it seems that York is unaware of the
existance of the StopArea principle. (At least, I couldn't find it in
a quick grepping of the data).

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NaPTAN/Local_schemes#York

--
Regards,