[Talk-transit] NaPTAN bus stop database import

Roger Slevin roger at slevin.plus.com
Sun Mar 1 21:51:13 GMT 2009

Peter

It would be very misleading to the OSM community for them to take any notice
of your "hope" to have stopareas everywhere in the NaPTAN database. More
than half of the country do not use stopareas at all in the journey planner
that they use - and there is no reason for the three regions I am familiar
with to create stopareas where they don't exist.  Creating them as explicit
stopareas, where we have perfectly good procedures that maintain implicit
stopareas automatically, is not only a lot of work - but also requires
continual maintenance.  We do not have the resources to do this - so your
"hope" is quite unrealistic.

>From a DfT perspective the stoparea is an optional feature within NaPTAN -
and there is no realistic prospect for that to change at a national level.

OSM should ignore stopareas in NaPTAN, therefore - and focus on the
stoppoint records which are the fundamental content of NaPTAN.

Best wishes

Roger